Problems of chemical disinfection

There are many cleaning and disinfection solutions on the market today, like sprays and wipes, but certain chemicals inside those solutions, cause serious degradation of your surfaces, objects and valuable equipment, causing them to break down, become corroded, discoloured and ultimately lead to malfunction unable to repair.

Let´s take a look at chemicals that are most damaging to materials:

  • ALCOHOL is one of the most common chemicals used as a disinfecting agent in cleaning solutions like wipes and sprays. Alcohol in the form of isopropyl alcohol or ethyl alcohol, kills different germs and bacteria based on different concentration levels. However, alcohol is one of the worst chemicals to use, since you’re putting equipment like vinyl, rubber, steel and digital screen monitors at risk (unattractive cracking in surfaces, expedite rusting on metal objects, dissolving protective screen coatings that makes touch screens less responsive etc.).
  • HYDROGEN PEROXIDE is considered being a less-dangerous disinfecting agent than alcohol or bleach, however, hydrogen peroxide can also do serious damage to equipment. Hydrogen peroxide is notorious for oxidizing aluminium, copper, iron, steel, tungsten, and other base metals or base metal alloys. This means any surface or object made from these metals, could be severely damaged if you clean them with hydrogen peroxide, since these chemicals react with the surface of the metal and what’s left is a layer of rust.
  • BLEACH can fade and discolour objects and surfaces. Using cleaning products with bleach will lead to discolouring of surfaces, leaving a yellow tint on white or light-coloured surfaces. Bleach also corrodes protective layers on your objects and surfaces and can break down the structural integrity of machines, equipment and surfaces to cause rusting or cracking.
  • AMMONIA is used to clean a variety of surfaces and you can find it in anything from toilet cleaner to floor polish. But because of how quickly it evaporates, it irritates the respiratory system, it can also lead to breathing issues and can trigger allergy or asthma troubles. Ammonia can also cause serious skin burns if it comes into direct contact with any part of the body. When not handled correctly, ammonia can cause discoloration and cracking of equipment.

Also chemicals are harmful to human health.

Overuse and misuse of disinfectant chemicals has not been widely reported.

Well-intentioned people, trying to stop the spread of COVID-19, have unintentionally exposed themselves and others to harmful chemicals. We are being exposed to these chemicals in volumes and frequencies that were previously unheard of.

Disinfecting chemicals were never intended to be used like this. Disinfectants are classified by the EPA with insecticides. They are produced to kill microbes; they are not cleaning agents. Experts worry about the consequences.

A CDC study of the number of reports to poison centers regarding disinfectants and cleaners reveals a significant increase in total exposure from 2019 to 2020.

Exposure by inhalation has increased the most, leading to respiratory problems. There has been a 108.79% increase from 2019 to 2020. Disinfectants are being sprayed on porous surfaces such as curtains, carpets, and upholstered furniture, which then emit fumes for hours, or even days. 

Incidents of dermal problems caused by chemical disinfectants have increased by 57.24%. Our skin is our largest organ and is vulnerable to chemical exposure.

Experts also warn of potential neurological and immunological problems.

Children are most at risk due to more frequent touching and “mouthing” of objects. Experts worry that exposure to chemical disinfectants could be detrimental to developing immune and reproductive systems.

Chemical disinfectants had known harmful side effects before the pandemic: general toxicity, dermatological ailments, eye damage, and respiratory disease are established problems.

When these disinfectants were used for occasional accidents, spills, and infestations, they were a reasonable risk. When used to wipe down high touch, non-porous surfaces they also make sense. One can only imagine, however, the long-term effects we will see down the line from their current overuse and misuse.

Unfortunately, health issues caused by exposure to chemical disinfectants will likely outlast the pandemic. 

 The pandemic, quarantines, and the presidential election have dominated the headlines. Safety and health experts are aware. And some innovators and entrepreneurs have worked hard to find safer and healthier alternatives.

Besides all the disadvantages of the chemicals, wet disinfection takes time and frequent supply of this chemicals cost you money in the long run. 

So how you can take good care of your environment and belongings with no side effects?

Advantages of UV-C disinfection

  • UV-C light disinfection is simple and dry compared to processes like washing, bleaching, that leavee moisture and residue behind.

  • UV-C disinfection works effectively on the surface as well as on liquids. Applying UV-C  light does not leave residuals or disinfection by-products like chemicals do. It will be effective in food manufacturing facilities to disinfect like a conveyor belt, which is difficult to clean through the work time.

  • UV-C light disinfection is a chemical-free process, non-toxic, environment friendly, and easy to handle

  • UV-C disinfection devices have a low maintenance cost, are simple to operate, along with lower operating cost.

  • The operation reliability of UV-C disinfection is high as compared to chemicals and also human friendly.

  • UV-C disinfection has no effect on color, taste or odor. UV-C disinfection doesn’t alter the taste of liquid or food, which can happen with chemical or heat treatments.
  • You don´t need to store and buy chemicals, which are causing additional problems with disposal of plastic.
  • UV-C disinfection is extremely effective form of disinfection. It destroys also molds and spores, while other disinfection methods may not.
  • UV-C light disinfection kills pathogens without immunity. Unlike traditional disinfection methods, UV light disinfection is a physical method for killing bacteria.  Therefore, bacteria in question cannot build immunity to it. That’s a huge plus, particularly for hospitals and assisted living facilities.
  • UV-C light disinfection saves you time and money, since it is one-time investment.